Sunday, December 8, 2013

North Dakota Wind Energy Update

Over the past several weeks, the plans for three wind projects in North Dakota have been finalized and given regulatory approval. The projects include...

Courtenay Wind Project                    
In mid-November, the North Dakota Public Service Commission approved the 200MW Courtenay wind project in Stutsman County after Minnesota-based Geronimo Energy agreed to reduce the planned number of turbines to counter the opposition from the owner of a nearby private airstrip. The redesigned $350m project will top out at 100 turbines, down from the 136 initially planned. Minneapolis-based Xcel energy signed an agreement in July to purchase the energy output from the Courtenay facility, which is expected to occupy approximately 25,000 acres of leased farm land. More

Thunder Spirit Project                      
The Thunder Spirit Project planned for Adams County originally was announced in 2006 by Global Winds Harvest. In 2011, Global Winds sold a 75% equity interest in the project to Ontario-based Wind Works Power, which exercised its option with Global Winds to acquire the remaining 25% earlier this year. In February 2012, a 150 MW Interconnection Agreement was signed with the Midcontinent Independent System Operator`s (MISO) power market. The project received its siting permit from Adams County in September and a Certificate of Site Compatibility from the North Dakota Public Services Commission in October. Bismarck-based Montana-Dakota Utilities Co. has agreed to buy electricity produced by the project, which is expected to include between 50 and 75 turbines.More

Bison 4 Expansion                              
Minnesota Power, a division of ALLETE, plans to begin construction  this year on a 200-megawatt expansion of its Bison wind project in Oliver County. Bison 4 will increase the company’s wind portfolio by more than 50 percent to more than 600  megawatts of wind generation. Construction on phase 4 of the Bison Wind Energy Center, anticipated to begin in the fourth quarter this year, will add 64 more wind turbines to the 101 turbines Minnesota Power has installed since 2010 near New Salem, N.D. Estimated to be operational by the end of 2014, the project will generate enough energy to power 92,000 homes. More

No comments: